Monday, December 14, 2009

Today I Got to Serve

Today was the funeral of a man in my ward. It was a long day. I got there at 9:30am and I pulled out of the parking lot at 4:30pm. Although I was tired I felt spiritually fed. He was a good man who raised a good family. By the world's standards there was not much to sing about. By Heaven's standards this man was a servant of the Lord. What else matters? As I listened to the funeral I thought about a life well lived. I thought about all those who went before me in my life, who lived a good life and thus blessed mine forever. His wife, as you have already guessed, is a great woman. She is a gracious woman. The most sincere person you will meet. I felt privileged today, that in some small way I was able to serve these good people. I also was overwhelmed by the great goodness of the people in our ward. Many, many sisters who volunteered to bring food, to watch children in the nursery, to help set up, serve, clean, bring in meals. On Sunday the Bishop quoted Alma's words at the Waters of Mormon when Alma asked the people who desired to be baptized if they would covenant to mourn with those that mourn, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort. The Bishop reminded us that although many might not have known this family personally, we have all committed to mourn with them, and comfort them. I was able to tell the Bishop that the sisters of Pasco 1st ward had already stepped up to that plate. Thank you sisters for serving at my side, for teaching me. I felt the great strength of the gospel today.

No comments: