
This is the first of what I hope to be many trips to see the Nutcracker. I told David that I wanted to take Anna, and he said he wanted to come too. I asked him, "You do realize this is a ballet, right?" He enjoyed it more than he thought he would. When it was over he said, "all right, we've done that, now we don't have to do it again." I explained that is the kind of thing that people do as a Christmas tradition, that I wanted to do as a Christmas tradition.

Anna loved it. She asked questions the entire time. I kept telling her she had to be quieter, and she would respond in a very loud stage whisper that it was as quiet as she could be. Her first question was, "when are they going to talk?" She was a little surprised that the answer was never:) Then she kept asking when Clara was going to get the nutcracker. She loved the beautiful fairies, and the dancing. Daddy got her a little porcelain doll during the intermission.

She spent the rest of the ballet trying to figure out exactly which fairy her doll was. After the show the soloist dancers were in the lobby signing programs. She asked the one that looked most like her doll if that was who the doll was. I was grateful to a very smart dancer who caught on right away, and said, "of course, she is me. See how we have the same dress on? and she has wings like me!" and she offered to sign the box.

If I had had any cash in my pocket I would have slipped it to her. Anna was thrilled. The next day she asked me if we could go see the Nutcracker again. Next year I told her.
No comments:
Post a Comment