Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ahhhhhh, Paradise!

We had a busy summer with a lot of traveling, which was all very fun,but by the time this trip rolled around (which we had planned a year ago) I was feeling kind of burnt out.  I started to worry that I was not going to be able to enjoy the trip, and that would be an incredible waste.  Never fear,
I underestimated the power of swaying palm trees,
rolling surf, warm tropical waters, warm soft air, and almost no agenda to follow.  It was heaven.  I relaxed in a way I haven't in months and months.  Anna loved every minute, and David really had a great time too which really added to my relaxation factor.  I must give credit for this wonderful week of bliss to my incredible parents.  They bought the time share on Kauai almost 14 years ago.  Their goal was not only to be able to enjoy a place that they fell in love with, but to help their children to be able to enjoy it as well.  It was our turn, and we wanted to take Anna and go with Mom and Dad.  I knew that my mother and my daughter would be kindred spirits in Hawai'i and I was right.  They could both stay in the water forever.
Anna loved the donut shaped pool with all the crazy fountain statues.
The first day we went snorkeling I got Anna all geared up, and my mom led her out into the water.  She showed her what to do, and away they went.  In fact, it was hard to get them out.
Don't they just look like two peas in a pod?  Or a mommy and baby dolphin?
By Wednesday David said he had never been in the water so much in his entire life.
   We went snorkeling on 4 different days and we swam in the pool at least once a day and sometimes twice.
We walked along Kalapaki beach in the morning with Grandma Ann
We explored the caves,


and the lighthouse (which was being renovated) where Anna got to do an activity book provided by the ranger

The Grand Canyon of Kauai=Waimea Canyon
We drove all the way up to the Kalalau lookout-what a gorgeous day!
This is a very good picture of the kind of hike my mother calls a little walk.  Below is the view from the trail.

We went to a bunch of different beaches (this one is Ke'e)

Grandpa's favorite-the taro fields

We took a train ride around a plantation, and...
we fed the boars.
We hiked through the jungle to...
Hidden Falls
We stuffed ourselves silly at the Luau (these are the guys who took the pig out of the ground).
Anna got to learn the hukilau (sp?) on stage-she was over the moon excited about it.

and afterwards we went to the Hula show-Anna really loved this
We took an awesome bike ride along the ocean all the way...
to the end of the bike trail

It was a perfect vacation.  Thanks Mom and Dad.  Great memories forever.

6 comments:

ohilaryk@gmail.com said...

What a beautiful trip and you guys deserve it!! Isn' this the kind of trip you go on with your favorite neighbors... isn't it!! And I love David's Hawaiian shirt!

Michelle Lanae HRH said...

Kauai is awesome and I can tell you guys had fun Im little jealous

Matt and Beth said...

Great pictures! Matt and I were shocked to see Anna snorkling in the water with Grandma Ann. Matt and I were a little afraid that we would be eaten by a shark. If I didn't have something underneath me, I paniced. Way to go Anna!! You are a very brave girl.

::lindsay said...

That is amazing! I'm so glad you had a wonderful time! Man, I gotta get myself there someday!

T. said...

So much fun!!! You all look like you ARE relaxing and enjoying yourselves! Great time for a break.

Alex, JJ, Zac...The Lorenzen's said...

Cathy, I love always catching up with your blog. You guys looked like you had the best time and it made me miss Hawaii. One day...I will have to take my cute family there as well.