We had a fantastic Thanksgiving dinner thanks to my mom. She says I did all the cooking, but we know the truth - she worked right alongside me and helped me every step of the way. Laurie made the rolls, and Cyndi made the apple pie. Mom and I cooked most of Wednesday and, of course we all cooked all Thursday morning. Everything turned out delicious, and we all squeezed around the dining room table. Everyone was thankful for family, good health, employment, to be together, and Anna was thankful for her shoes.

My niece Michelle made this beautiful flower arrangement for the centerpiece. Isn't she talented?
Friday we went shopping. Anna woke me up at 3:30am, and I couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up a little before four and headed out by myself. I thought that Shopko opened at 4 and Target at 5, so when I saw the big line outside Shopko at 4:30, I decided I would just go to Target. I should have realized that if I had been wrong about Shopko's open time, I might have been wrong about Target. Didn't cross my mind. I got there and the line wasn't too long, so I joined it thinking I only had 15-20 minute's wait. At 5 workers came out and handed out maps of the store. I asked why weren't they opening yet, and they told me with smiles on their face that they were opening at 6! I had to stand one more HOUR in the freezing cold, when really, all I wanted was some play-doh! I was kind of stuck because now the line stretched around the building and all the way to the end of the parking lot, besides the fact that I had unwittingly parked right where the line went, so I would have had to bust through the line in reverse. So, I stayed. I must say it was entertaining. The ladies behind me were very friendly-in their early 30's told stories about their first babies they had when they were 17, the custody and child support battles they had been through. A guy behind them (missing two teeth, wearing a padded flannel jacket and scraggly goatee) was telling a story about when he used to drive through the picket lines to work as a scab. Then this white pickup drove in and started handing out cups of free coffee. The, one of them stood up in the back of the pickup and started preaching a sermon about sin, damnation, and being saved. At the end they passed out tracts to anyone who wanted one. Very smart of them, I thought - a totally captive audience, and it helped pass the time:) To make a long story longer, I got in, got my play-doh, and about 20 other things, and checked out without any wait.
About 6:30 I hooked up with my mom and sisters and did a little more shopping. Around 8 we hooked up with David and Anna at McDonald's. Poor David, on Thursday he had checked out every ad, took notes, and made a plan. Before he went to bed he asked who wanted to go early in the morning with him, and everyone declined. Well, he didn't want to go with me at 4am, so he went back to sleep. When he got up around 7 everyone except Grandpa had left shopping! Anna was going to stay with Grandpa, but I guess she decided she wanted a piece of the action too, and came with Dad. We split up again and did even more shopping! We finally ended up at home in time for a leftover lunch, and to meet Mark and Caitlyn who had just arrived. It was very fun shopping. I got to run with the bulls at Target, finish a whole bunch of Christmas shopping, and hang out with my family. That afternoon we had a little birthday party for Anna (the first of many). We all wore Dora hats. She really loved opening this Curious George monkey from my sister Laurie.
I think her favorite part is blowing out the candles, but I forgot to snap a picture.Friday night Laurie and the teenagers went to see Twilight while the rest of us played Uno Attack. Anna was in charge of pushing the button for everyone, and she loved it!Saturday Laurie, Camille, Michelle, Cyndi, Mark and Kaitlyn went back out shopping. Grandma, Grandpa, Todd, David, Anna and I stayed home and worked on Christmas decorations. Anna loved decorating the tree with Grandma. She is the perfect age. Last year we broke quite a few ornaments. This year she knows how to be careful, but is still fascinated by them. Todd and David worked forever on a string of lights- and I really appreciate the effort! In the afternoon Grandma, Anna, and I went to see the movie, Bolt! while Grandpa, David and Todd saw the new James Bond. I think we got the better deal. Bolt was great-very much an action movie:) The big OSU game began at 4, and everyone watched, even though it had a very sad ending. David commented later that he didn't realize there were so many football enthusiasts in my family (Mark, like David, is a big football fan). I told him that is because he and I were already a done deal by the time he met my whole family, so they didn't need to impress him:)
It was a great weekend. I loved every minute of it. Thanksgiving is about gathering, and gather we did!
Good night,
~C


1 comment:
I loved your shopping experience -- though I'm thinking as a returned missionary, you could have preached your own sermon!
Post a Comment