Thursday, December 4, 2008

Six Random Things About Me

okay, my friend Kim tagged me for six random things. I think I'm suppossed to post rules and make links, but I'm too tired. So you just get six random things:)

1. I'm obsessed with containers and pockets. I love suitcases/bags/purses that have many and usefully sized pockets. I like uniform containers that fit my purpose exactly-I get a little high from finding just the right thing. For example, a friend told me she keeps her daughters hair things in plastic baby food containers. This is the drawer of Anna's hair clippies. The uniformity, convenience, and orderliness of it makes me smile everytime I open the drawer.

2. Along a similar vein, I love organized cupboards. The other day I went to help my friend move in to her new home. She said, "Cathy, you can do the kitchen-put things were you want". I felt like a kid in a candy shop. I had so much fun. There are logical places for things in a kitchen, and people rarely follow it. If you want help organizing your kitchen, I'm your woman, give me a call. This doesn't mean I don't have a junk door overflowing and difficult to open with the stuff I can't find a place for, or bathroom cupboards stuffed with unused bath products - I just have pockets of organization and pockets of chaos.

3. Okay, now you are starting to think that I am OCD, which is a possibility, you never know:) But, I like lists. Not "to do" lists - I occassionaly make those lists, but they are never very useful. The kind of lists I like to make are check off lists. For example I have a list on the computer for packing for a cartrip. There are boxes to check off each item, so I know we haven't forgotten anything. I print them out and hang them on the wall above the suitcases I'm packing. I also made a list of all the things I cook for dinner and what goes in them. I have a list of things I buy at my grocery store organized by aisle. I know, I know, you are now laughing at me, or looking up a therapist in my area.

4. I'm not a huge TV/Video fan. I would much rather curl up with a good book. However, if I do watch TV or a video mostly I want light and funny. I really do enjoy a good sitcom. I know most MASH/Friends/Raymond reruns by heart from having watched so many. I do not like to watch an intense drama right before I go to sleep - then I can't sleep. If I watch a video, I usually pick something that I've seen before, so I don't have to be tense wondering what is going to happen. My husband David has pointed out to me that my problem is that I get way too involved in the show - I identify too much with the people. I take on their emotions, and it is too much for me. I also like watching competition shows like American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, Dancing With the Stars, etc. - not too much drama.

5. I don't mind getting up on a stage and making a total fool out of myself. Especially if accompanied by others. At our family reunions we have done synchronized swimming to Dancing Girl, a rythmic gymnastics routine in swimsuits and tutus to the music of Fat Bottom Girls. Recently I sang "I'm a Woman" in a quartet at our RS talent show (you know the one about "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never, never let you forget you're a man"). On a more serious note I like to give a lesson, or a talk. I feel comfortable speaking in front of people.

6. I absolutely hate make-up. But I love bath products and jewelry. By bath products I mean yummy smelling shower gel, face masks, exfoliating scrubs etc. (David cannot imagine what all those bottles in our shower are for). As for jewelry it has always been a fascination. When my grandmother was dying from cancer she said to me one night, "If I had my life to life over I would do one thing differently." I waited anxiously for the wisdom that my aged grandmother was about to impart..."I would wear all solid colors so you could see my jewelry better." I smile every time I think of that. I inherited my love of jewelry from her (as well as an addiction to chocolate). As for make-up I have always hated it. I hate the feel of mascara - itchy and sticky. I always sweat or rub it all off anyway, and it takes too much time to apply. I used to put it on for Sundays, but David can't even tell the difference, so I'm free - I never put it on.

Well that's it.

Love ya,

~C

1 comment:

Jen said...

Please oh please come organize my kitchen! You have a gift and you should share it with the world!

By the way, I really can't picture you from college unless MASH is playing in the background -- did you know I delivered my firstborn son while watching MASH? It seriously stands the test of time! ; )