Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Farewell Tribute to Ellie Dog

This last Tuesday we had to say good bye to our faithful family dog. This is a tribute to her. I got Ellie about 10 years ago from the Pet Overpopulation people. She was just a little black and white puppy. I picked her because the lady told me she was the sweetest of the litter. She was right. I got Ellie (named after Eleanor Roosevelt) to be a companion dog to Tipper who was a couple of years old. Unfortunately Tipper could not talk to tell me that she did not want a companion, she just wanted my attention 24/7. Tipper was a beautiful and quirky dog, but she was not nice to Ellie. She kept Ellie on the patio, or wouldn't let her in the backyard at all. When David and I got married he also got my two dogs, but when we were pregnant with Anna and moving into a new house, we realized we couldn't keep up with Tipper, and she was a little high strung to be around a baby. We found a good home for her, and Ellie came to live with us in our new house. You've never seen a happier dog:) She had the run of things to herself. She was mellow (except for barking at dogs across the fence), and very loving. Her favorite thing was a walk. When Anna came along she was curious, but always gentle.As Anna grew and started to walk she wanted to hold Ellie's leash. My neighbor Hilary always said it was the funniest sight to see this little teeny girl on one end of the leash and this big black dog on the other end. Ellie never pulled her over. Whenever we were gone from home for any length of time and Anna was feeling homesick she would tell me that she missed Ellie dog. We will miss our Ellie dog, but we know she is in doggie heaven, and so much happier. We will see her again someday.

~C

2 comments:

Jennifer Lyn Newell Standridge said...

Oh Cathy, David & Anna, I am soooo sorry to hear about Ellie she was a wonderful dog and I will miss her also. Love you

Jen said...

How sweet is that? Will you replace her?