Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Released

Almost three years ago exactly the Bishop asked to talk with David and I.  I was fairly confident he was going to ask me to be the new Primary president.  I had been serving as the counselor for a little while, and I knew they were releasing the president.  We sat down in the bishop's office and he asked me to be the Relief Society President.  Both David and I burst into laughter.  The bishop said, "No, really, I'm not joking."  You could have pushed me over with a feather.  I was very disoriented that week.  I went to the temple a couple of times trying to get my bearings.  I did get the witness that I was looking for, that no matter how unprepared, or unqualified I felt, the Lord wanted me.  I will never forget the walk from the Primary room around the Stake Center hallway and into the Relief Society room.  I left when the children were singing- off key, a little screechy, not sure of the words-and I arrived to the sisters singing in perfect harmony.  It was very intimidating.  I had great sisters working with me, and we soon got in the swing of things.  I know I made many mistakes along the way and that I could have done more (because there is always more to do), but I did give it all I could.  The Lord really refines us by fire.  In those three years I think our ward just about doubled in size, we miscarried twice and we took in a newborn foster baby.  It was busy to say the least.  I think the person who really gave the most was my sweet husband.  There were a lot of weeks that I was gone to teach my night class on Monday and Wednesday, a RS activity on Tuesday and a leadership training meeting on Thursday.  Every ward activity he spent with Anna while I tried to talk to everyone in the room.  We went to a picnic in the park once and he saw me on the ride there and the ride home.  He was patient and supportive through it all, but also let me gently know when things were out of balance and I needed to refocus on my family.  Anna was the other person who gave up a lot.  She really learned to hate the word "visit", but did a good job when I had to drag her along.  She also spent a lot of time waiting in the car while I dropped things off.  She learned to ask who it was, and how long I was planning on talking to them.  I don't think she can remember a time when I wasn't doing Relief Society (she was 3 when I was called).  So, two Sundays ago the bishop let me know that he was calling a new president, and I would be released the next Sunday.  I was very surprised that tears came to my eyes.  So, I guess I can say that I began this journey with laughter and ended with tears (but the good kind-emotional, happy, etc.).  Sunday I was so excited for the new presidency.  When the bishop told me who the new president was, I instantly thought - of course!  When I met with her on Monday after being released and went through all the things I would have done this week, that now she gets to do, I literally felt 50 lbs lighter.  A lot of people have asked me what I will do with all my free time, and I guess the answer is write this post and browse facebook:)  Really, I'm going to try and clean up this house!  No really, I'm just going to spend my time trying to be a mommy right now.  We hope in the year to come that we'll be able to expand our family one way or another.  I have learned so much in the last three years.  Most of all I learned that I have a whole lot more to learn.  Thank you Father for the opportunity to serve.

7 comments:

PRP said...

You've been such a wonderful leader for so many of us. Thank you for your selfless service and shining example. We love you!

::lindsay said...

I'm so grateful I had this opportunity to serve with you, Cathy. You are absolutely amazing and I learned so much from your positive example. You really gave that calling your all and I loved seeing how much you truly loved all the sisters in the ward and loved serving them. Thank you!

I hope that this next year brings you so much happiness and you can expand your family like you've been wanting to.

Take care and love you lots!!!

ohilaryk@gmail.com said...

You made me cry! You are a FANTASTIC friend and example of faith. I too am excited to be "mom" for awhile :) Love you friend!!

Jill said...

I love you cousin. I understand your feelings. I'm so glad to see what is in store the next three years.

Matt and Beth said...

Cathy, I was not in your ward, but I am sure you did an amazing job. Thanks for sharing your feelings about serving. I enjoyed reading it.

Unknown said...

Yay! I look forward to more posts here and status updates on facebook!! :) Truly, you've been an amazing RS president and I'll miss you in that capacity...feel free to come visit me with some of that free time. Anna shouldn't mind now that Aveline is here. ;)

Julie said...

You are a fabulous woman and leader and Mom. It was a great 3yrs and I am glad I got to spend almost 2 1/2 with you. It was awesome to learn so much from you and the other sisters.

I totally know what you mean by feeling not qualified or ready. I guess the Lord knows us better than anyone.

Thanks for all of you hard work and service