Friday, September 12, 2008

An Artist is Born

I am not an artist. Once when I was sixteen and we were watching some children during Sacrament meeting, the little girl (who was maybe five years old) asked me if I would draw a cat for her. She looked at my drawing for a while, and then said, "that's okay, I can turn it in to a log." I have always felt that that experience kind of summed up my artistic ability. But there is nothing like a three year old who believes you can do anything to instill confidence. We were doing a match the farm animal baby to its mother (that David had left over from subbing the Sunbeam class at church). She turned the paper over and commanded me to draw the animals free hand. After I prompted a please out of her I drew these animals. For me, they are incredible! Each one is recognizable as an animal. When I was done she was totally satisfied, and proceeded to name all the animals. I think she lived in India in a previous life because these are always the kinds of names she comes up with (Ellie is the name of our dog).

~C

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

Being a mother that frequently draws pix for Benjamin I am very impressed with your drawings. I also wanted to give you a song for your ipod. Cosmic Girl by Jamiroquai or Micheal Jackson's "Beat It" .I think Jill has that same ipod and it is so great. Congrats to Anna and starting pre-school. She is growing up so fast and is a beauty! Love you

Jennifer Lyn Newell Standridge said...

Cathy you are very talented. Love your animals.