Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Tribute to Fathers

My cousin Ashlee inspired this post. I thought I would just say a few words about the father of my child, my father and my grandfathers.

David-My hubby is such a good man. He is full of love for me and for Anna. When I was pregnant he was worried about having a little girl, and I finally caught on and said, "you are worried you will be wrapped around her finger!" He solemnly nodded. Well, of course, it is true. He has a hard time telling her no. I think he loves it best when she hasn't had enough sleep and falls asleep snuggled up against him just like when she was a baby. He works so hard for us. He bought Anna a sign at a craft fair that says, "My Prince did come....it's my Daddy."

Heber C.-My dad is an incredible man. He loves many things-his family, the beauty of the earth, politics, reading, creating things with his hands, watching people. He taught me to really enjoy life no matter what you're doing. He taught me to be open to other people's points of view and to try and look at an issue from all sides. He taught me to believe in the underdog and the little guy. He taught me to love history and especially storytelling. My father really shows his love openly and with great affection. He taught me to love the gospel, no matter how hard or rocky the road is.

Heber James-My father's father died when I was 11. I loved him so much. It was the first real experience I had with losing a loved one. He loved to play with the kids. I remember sitting on his lap at Crow Canyon (their ranch) and just playing with his hands. He was sweet and always seemed happy to me. I remember as a child thinking that I had the best grandpa of anyone, like in a story book. I also was told many stories about my grandfather's belief in and willingness to stand up for what is right. He lived in a time of great discrimination, and he did all that he could to fight against it.

Samuel Richard-My mother's father died when I was not yet three. I don't have any direct memories of him. What I have is a few smiling pictures of a hard working man, and the love that I know my mother has for him. She had a hard time when he died. He died the day my little sister was born, and that was very difficult for her. I know that he worked many jobs to support his family and he loved to watch the ball games in front of their house. You can see how much he loved his children and especially his grandchildren in the pictures that I have of him.

Good men. A good man is hard to find these days, but I seem surrounded by them. I consider myself a lucky woman.
Good Night,
~C

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

Well said Cathy. That was a beautiful Tribute. It is a true blessing to know good men.Love you!

Jennifer Lyn Newell Standridge said...

You do have good men in your life. As I read your Tribute I could see all of them and full heartly agree with you. I am glad to be related to them and even more to you. I love ya Cathy!