Okay, at night I end up doing RS stuff, so I got up early this morning (I know, 7:30am, not so early), read my scriptures, answered e-mail, and now I'm going to try and write a little. We're settled back into daily life after the Holidays. We had a fun Christmas at my parents house in California. Anna got way too much for Christmas and Birthday, but she loved it. For her Birthday we did a Clifford party. We played pin the tag on Clifford and search for the hidden paw prints. Her favorite part though was blowing out the candles. It is very amusing to watch all the grown-ups and teenagers doing all the kiddy stuff. There were so many people trying to take her picture while she opened presents that we started calling them the Paparazzi.
We have begun potty training for real. She was fighting the diaper change again, and I just said, forget it. I suggested we could give her diapers away to Brooklyn's sister Kayla or to Mia. That night she told me in no uncertain terms that "I not give away my diapers. The diapers are not Kayla's and not Mia's. They belong to me!" However, we have been more successful every day, and while watching the Elmo Potty video she told Elmo that she doesn't wear diapers anymore because she gave them away! She went all yesterday without an accident, except for the poopy:( She even wore underwear all through church! The biggest challenge is that I forget all about it, and don't remember to put her on the potty in time. Enough of potty talk
I've been trying to read the Screwtape Letters and Anna Karenina for bookclub this month and next. I haven't gotten very far. Very slow going.
RS is getting set up. We have all the major callings filled, now we just need to get our last teacher, an Enrichment Board, and VT route supervisors. I need to get out and visit more.
Last night Anna was upset that David stopped the show and put her on the potty, so she came to me and was telling me, "I not want to go to the potty, I say no!" She had a wooden spoon in her hand (we had been making brownies). She was waving it for emphasis, and then she hit me with it to emphasize her final no. I sent her to time out. When she came back I asked if her she was going to tell me sorry for hitting me. Instead I got a very calm explanation, "but Mommy, I just telling you, and yelling you that I not want to go potty, and that's why I hit you" She thought this was very logical. I asked if yelling and hitting were nice things to do. She hesitated for a minute (because she knows the real answer), but said yes because she was telling me. She did finally admit that she shouldn't hit. I'm afraid we're in real trouble:)
Have a good day, ~C
Happy New Year - A Quick Update
8 months ago


3 comments:
Well what could she do? - She had to tell you and yell you - so clearly she had to hit you with the spoon. My advice - don't give her a spoon or other weapon.
Hey - why not set the alarm on your watch to help you remember to take her to the potty. You used to use it to remind you to take your blood sugar. Might work to have it go off every two hours?
Looks like you got a stubborn one there! I don't envy you. Potty training is frustrating with each child in unique ways. She, obviously, knows what to do and how to do it, it's just become a battle of wills. I still say one day they wake up and something has clicked in their brains, and they just stop fighting about it. All of my children were 3 years and 3 months old. We approached it differently with each, but ultimately they were all the same age when it all clicked. That's why I think some of it has to be developmental. She will not still be wearing diapers in Kindergarten, so just take a few deep breaths, drink a Diet Coke, and try not to let her see how crazy it makes you. She's enjoying the power she has here. :-) I got a good laugh out of the hitting. She sounds just like a few kids here in my house!
Both of you, great advice. I especially like the Diet Coke. I mostly need to relax.
Post a Comment