Friday, May 9, 2008

Night, Night

So, tonight we are putting Anna to bed. Our regular routine goes like this: first I read her two stories, then we say prayers together, then David reads a few stories. I come back in to sing her I Am a Child of God and turn on her music box. She sleeps with her doll and her "silky" (one of my old nightgowns). Lately she has added her teddy bear. She has since tried to add more animals in a bid for more attention from us, "Mom, I need kitty to sleep with!" I drew the line at the teddy bear, told her it was too crowded. If I hadn't, I would be handing her a zoo full of stuffed animals one at a time all night long.

Tonight, while I'm reading the second story I tell David that we're missing all three-dolly, silky, and teddy. So, he goes hunting. He comes back with dolly, and I remember that silky is in our bed. He goes forth again in search of teddy bear but comes back empty handed. We say prayers and switch places. I confidently think to myself that I'll find teddy bear within 30 seconds, but I can't find teddy, or my best substitutes-sheep or soft teddy. I come back upstairs and ask Anna if she knows where teddy is. She says, "yes, teddy is with sheep." I foolishly ask where sheep is. Of course she replies, "sheep is with teddy bear." David busts a gut over this bit of wisdom and says, "duh, mom." Finally, I get a brain in my head and ask Anna to show me where they are. As we walk downstairs hand in hand she tells me that they were watching her race. I couldn't recall a race earlier in the day, but I obviously miss a lot. She leads me right to the two stuffed animals sitting side by side on the floor inside the pantry closet, obviously in position to watch a speedy three year old race right by them.

The three year old is now snuggled in bed with dolly, silky, teddy and Grandma Ann's "green blanket." Sweet dreams, Anna

Good Night
~C

No comments: