Thursday, May 22, 2008

Scott's Farewell

This last weekend we went to Corvallis, Oregon for my nephew Scott's missionary farewell. He is leaving June 4th for the MTC and then on to the Denver, Colorado North Mission. He delivered a wonderful sermon. He talked about the Atonement and how he gained his own testimony. I'm very proud of him. He has grown up to be an incredible young man. He will be a fantastic missionary. It has been a funny weekend to think back on when he was born. Todd was still going to BYU while Laurie worked as an RN at Orem Hospital. I was going to BYU as well. I remember picking up my mom from the train to go see him at the hospital right after he was born. He was such a cute baby. Once Todd asked me to babysit him while he studied. He was so cute for the first 1/2 hour until he started crying nonstop. I finally called Todd in a panic and told him he had to come pick Scott up. Of course, two minutes before Todd got there Scott conked out in my arms. Todd arrived and looked at the picture of peace and happiness in my arms and proceeded to give me a very bad time. When Scott was little someone taught him about the crucifixion, and he became totally obsessed. Anytime he had a stick, pencil, etc. he would draw a cross and say with great emotion, "this is a cross and Jesus died on it" I'm not sure if he even knew what it meant. Once when he was probably 4 or 5 he was walking on the bench around Grandma's deck. She found him and told him to get down because he might fall. He calmy and logically (always a logical kid) told her, "Grandma, I'm not going to fall on this side, and I'm not going to fall on this side (pointing out both of the non-options with his finger), so I don't need to get down." Come to think of it this reminds me a great deal of Anna. That is what I've really been thinking a lot about. I'm remember Scott at all those different phases in his life, and now here he is, an adult! It is had to imagine Anna as an adult, but I know it will happen faster than I can imagine. Good Luck Scott, we will be praying for you!

1 comment:

klonghall said...

One of my favorite mission memories was sharing our mail. I felt like I was part of your family during that year. Scott was so little, and I loved reading about his adventures. Has that much time really passed? We must really be getting old...