Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Honeyman 2008

Just got back from another fantastic trip to Honeyman. Let me explain. Since before the dawn of time (or at least the early 1970's) my Newell cousins of Eugene, Oregon have been going to Jessie M. Honeyman State Park just south of Florence, Oregon on the beautiful Oregon coast. It is a beautiful place with big pine tree forests and wild rhododendrons.
It is nestled up against the sand dunes that are free for exploring. The Newells along with a few other families that they have known for decades make the pilgrimage every Memorial Day and every Labor Day. When my sister Laurie et. al. moved to Oregon they joined in on the fun. When I moved to the Northwest I couldn't resist. My parents began coming when they could. Sometimes my sister Cyndi comes. When David and I got married I convinced him to come as well. He reminded on this year's journey that the first year he went we arrived at 2 a.m. and had to set up a tent. I had conveniently forgotten that:) David is such a wonderful husband. He really does not like to camp, but we have gone almost every Memorial Day since we got married. When Anna was born we were able to stay in a yurt, which you can see in the background of this picture(they have 7 at Honeyman). David has never looked back. It is his idea of roughing it.

Anyway, we had a great time. We did all the traditional events, climb a giant sand dune, Dinosaur mountain, visit family and friends, roast marshmallows,
do a skit, sing the traditional songs, go to church, visit Heceta Head, build sandcastles, chase the waves, hike to the lighthouse,
and eat at Mo's. We had great weather-lower 60's and no rain! I really love going there. Anna told me as I put her to bed on Saturday night, "Mom, I love Honeyman" My sentiments exactly.

Good Night,
~C

2 comments:

Jennifer Lyn Newell Standridge said...

I LOVE HONEYMAN too Anna & Cathy!...I don't want to miss another.
They just keep putting these single conf the same week-end, and if I am going to try and add to the family I have to at least participate that means no Honeyman. But lets hope this will not last to long. I want to CAMP....at HONEYMAN!

klonghall said...

Fun stuff! It's weird, though, for me to imagine being at the beach and needing to wear a jacket. Life in the south is WAY different than the NW in that aspect. We'll be sweating our butts off next week at Cape San Blas, Florida. And, we'll be in a super-nice beach house. Your husband would like that.

We will camp, though, in July in the Smoky Mountains again. The kids love camping. There is a different freedom for them while camping that is matched by no other experience.

Thanks for sharing.