Friday, October 31, 2008

Sisters' Weekend 2008

A couple of years ago my sister Cyndi began the tradition of Sisters' Weekend. It is not Todd nor David's favorite event, but they are both gracious enough to hold down the fort at home while we go and party:) If you want the full description of the weekend you can go to my sister's blog www.auntcyndisblog.blogspot.com. I've got enough time to hit the highlights. Laurie and I arrived late into Oakland airport from Portland on Thursday night. We, of course stayed up talking, and slept in in the morning which worked out just fine because we wanted to go to lunch at a place in North Beach called Mama's. We had to wait awhile to get in, and make a mad dash to the ATM for cash, but it was worth it. Very delicious, very cute, very San Franscisco. Then, we stopped for just a minute at the Palace of Fine Arts, that is just such a peaceful place. Since it was an absolutley gorgeous day we headed across the bridge and drove out the Marin Headlands towards Point Bonita. The view of the city was spectacular, and we took about a million pictures. We walked down as far as we could toward's the light house. It was a beautiful afternoon. We headed back to the apartment, ordered yummy chinese food from Ho's, and devoured it. Then we headed out to see the chick flick The Secret Life of Bees. I had not read the book, but my sisters insisted it was only a little sad at the beginning. Half way through the movie I looked at each of them and said, "a little sad?!" A little tragic would have been more accurate. I must say, it was a good movie, and ended on a happy note. We had a little adventure to get the movie started, but I'll let you read that on Cyndi's blog. It is kind of a long story, but very funny. That night on our way to the movie we stopped and shopped a little at Old Navy (I got a Halloween shirt for Anna for $2.71), and we passed the Container Store, which really piqued my interest (if you don't already know, I kind of have an obsession with organizational aids, and containers). In the morning we decided to have a leisurely morning of shopping in Chinatown, we visited the fortune cookie factory, which turned out to be a couple of ladies folding fortune cookies. You got to take her picture for fifty cents, and then they waved you out. and then my dear sweet sisters took me to the Container Store. Chinatown was fun, and Laurie had quite the moment where she fell crossing the street while trying to talk to her daughter on her cell phone. She did a complete sprawl right in the middle of the street. When I called her daughter back, Michelle asked if her mother was okay, when I answered yes, she wanted to know if at least it was funny. We went to Max's for lunch, again, soooooo yummy. Mom came and joined us and we drove out to where you can park your car and walk on to the Golden Gate bridge, but instead we walked down towards Chrissy fields, and walked out on to the pier. It was so beautiful. The sun was setting and the city kind of glowed pink. We watched the pelicans fly in a line and swoop up and down towards the water. Then we drove on to Baker Beach and sat in the sand and watched the waves come crashing in as the final pink and orange of the sunset faded into darkness. We stopped by the Safeway's in the Marina district to pick up some groceries for dinner (I told Cyndi that was the most multi-cultural experience I've had in a long while - I must have heard five different languages being spoken). We went home and made spaghetti and brownies and watched TV. In the morning Mom headed and home, and we went to Cyndi's ward, and then flew out that afternoon. We had such a fun time together. I did really miss David and Anna, but it is good to get out every once in awhile, and especially always good to be with my sisters. Oh, I forgot to mention that we did have a man come up behind us while waiting for the bus and relieve himself against the chainlink fence, and then the next day from the car I saw a man walking up the street with his shorts around his knees and nothing else, but a pair of shoes on. So, we declared it the pee-pee weekend. So much fun,

~C

2 comments:

Jen said...

I am SO jealous! What an amazing thing to do with your sistahs (and mom). I do have to laugh about making brownies.. my kids all know that I once had a roommate that made us brownies almost every night!

Ashlee said...

So fun! I want to start that tradition with my sisters! You all look great and such wonderful photos