Thursday, October 9, 2008

Spud Day

On the third weekend in September we gathered with many other Shelleyites for the annual Spud day celebration. I didn't take too many pictures, so all of these (except the water pictures and Michelle) were taken in 2006. It is a like Passover in Jerusalem, everyone who can return to Shelley for Spud Days, returns (this year I even ran into someone I knew - one of my former Beehives who is now attending BYU and has a roommate from Shelley). First there is a great home town parade that includes all the school cheerleaders, marching bands, community floats, town firetrucks, etc, and of course the king spud (in a spud suit) and a Miss Spud Day (she might be called something else) with attendants. A LOT of candy is thrown. My sister-in-law says she uses the candy to hand out at Halloween :o). After the parade there is a celebration in the park. The highlight is the free baked potato for anyone that wants one. There are also spud gathering contests for all ages, and finally a tug of war competition that is centered over a pit of instant mashed potatoes that have been mixed in a cement truck. There are also booths, pony cart rides, a big blow up slide. There are a lot of different food booths, but the traditional Pattee items are: a Pronto Pup (which is Shelley vernacular for corn dog), a funnel cake, and a sandwich called a Prime Steer (which I think explains itself). It really is a fun time. This year we had some rough weather and a tired and grouchy three year old, so we didn't get to enjoy Spud Day too much. However, Anna had a fantastic time, as always, playing with her cousins. I have a couple of pictures of them playing in the flooded street after one of many thundershowers that day. This year we also got the added bonus of visiting my niece Michelle who is attending BYU-I. (this picture is from last Christmas at my parents house) We had a great time seeing a little of the campus, her dorm room, and going to lunch. She is such an incredible young woman, and I'm so proud of her! We were very tired when we got home, but always good to see family. I'll try and catch up on a few other events this past week. When we left Shelley for home I forgot our camera bag there, but thanks to Linda and Penny, we've got it back. Thanks guys :o)
~C

1 comment:

Tyler and Carisa said...

Those are some AWESOME puddles!! How did you restrain yourself from joining the little ones and jumping in?! =F