Happy Mother's Day to all you women out there who have a mother heart, who serve, love, nurture and give to the children around you. Being a mother is truly the greatest blessing I have ever received, but I remember the many years without that blessing. Our bishop gave the best mother's day message today that I have ever received. He talked about feeling forgotten, inadequate, guilty, or left out on this day. He said, "what matters is that the Savior knows and loves you." He paraphrased a metaphor using quilts from Sister Chieko Okazaki:
"Here are two quilts. Both are handmade, beautiful, and delightful to snuggle down in or wrap around a grandchild. Now look at this quilt. It’s a Hawaiian quilt with a strong, predictable pattern. We can look at half of the quilt and predict what the other half looks like. Sometimes our lives seem patterned, predictable in happy ways, in order. Now look at this second quilt. This style is called a crazy quilt. Some pieces are the same color, but no two pieces are the same size. They’re odd shapes. They come together at odd angles. This is an unpredictable quilt. Sometimes our lives are unpredictable, unpatterned, not neat or well-ordered. Well, there’s not one right way to be a quilt as long as the pieces are stitched together firmly. Both of these quilts will keep us warm and cozy. Both are beautiful and made with love. There’s not just one right way to be a Mormon woman, either, as long as we are firmly grounded in faith in the Savior, make and keep covenants, live the commandments, and work together in charity." He said, "as your bishop I bless all of you who did not want to be here today, but came anyway, because of your commitment to the Savior. Remember that you are always loved." I cried for all the years that I didn't want to come, but came anyway. I have so many loved ones that I wish could have heard his talk today. Anna is a lucky girl. She is surrounded by incredible women who have a mother heart. I want to thank all of you for all that you are and all that you do for us and for her. I also want to thank my own mother. I am what I am today, because of her great love and guidance. Happy Mother's Day!
2 comments:
That was beautiful! Thank you for sharing. What a great bishop.
I thank you through my tears. I did not have many years of not being a mother, but I feel such pain for those who would make amazing mothers and don't get to have their own children. I'm so glad you have Anna, because you are one of those people I have thought about through the years.
Love you!
Post a Comment