Saturday, December 1, 2007

Finally Christmas and a Little Coloring

Busy day! I went to do dry-pack canning this a.m. at 9. That sounds like I'm all prepared and being diligent. The fact is that I got six cans of white flour and six cans of sugar - nice and healthy. My plan is to do a little at a time and get stuff that we use. I always think about my wheat dilemma when I go there. I should store wheat, I tell myself. You don't have a grinder, or really know how to make bread, I answer. I could make bread if I wanted to, I reply. You could, but you know that really you won't, I sensibly argue back. So, I don't buy the wheat.

When I got home David and I set up the new TV. This was a big undertaking. It involved moving furniture and reconfiguring half the electronics in the house. It is done, everything works, and I like how we did the furniture and I'm not going to buy an entertainment center. The thought of putting together a new piece of furniture, disconnecting and reconnecting all the gadgets was more than I can bear. The current system looks just great.

Even though I was tired, I insisted we start on Christmas decorations. I have been doing it ever since. I'm not yet done. I told David, it is possible that we own too many decorations. It is getting a little carried away. I suggested we could get rid of a few when we put them away in January. He says he will contemplate it (David is a confirmed pack rat). We'll see. It is so fun to see the house turn into Christmas. Anna was very fun. This is the first year she can understand what is going on. She helped me open boxes and unwrap nativities. She has played all afternoon with two little bears that are red and green, a small beany baby goose, and a Christmas teddy bear. She told David, "Mommy is putting up Christmas." Tomorrow we're going to do the tree.

Yesterday afternoon David was running an errand and I was busy on the computer and the phone. She was trying to get me to pay attention to her. She wanted me to come and play some form of school. I was totally preoccupied on the computer. Finally she stopped asking me, and I thought to myself, "oh good she is playing so nice by herself." Silly Mommy! I finally got off the computer and she got my attention and said, "I colored, Mommy," and showed me the big red crayon in her hand. I started to nod and smile,"that's nice swee...... wait a minute, where did you color?" On the floor (yes on the carpet right behind the computer chair) and on the bed (she led me first to my bed - a nice rainbow on the sheets. Then she showed me a similar piece of artwork on her sheets). She was very proud of herself and extremely pleased that she finally had my undivided attention. I put her in time out in her room. This did concern her after a few minutes, but then Daddy got home and she got to show him all her doings. He was very stern, and she put on a face of regret, but it barely hid the smile and twinkle in her eye. An hour later she came with me to pick up the babysitter Kari. The first thing out of her mouth as Kari got in the car, "I color the floor and bed." Funny girl.

Good Night ~C

2 comments:

klonghall said...

Magic eraser will get crayon off any hard surface. Oxyclean works pretty well on other things. That's a great story, though. My mother told a story about a time that I colored with lipstick all over her brand new suede coat. (I've never had success getting lipstick out of clothing. Bridger did that a couple of times.) I decorated myself with green permanent marker on another occasion.

Aunt Cyndi's Blog said...

Clearly there is no fear of Anna coloring on anything with lipstick. Cathy's house is a lipstick free zone!